Understanding the F Visa

The United States is home to some of the best schools in the world. It’s no wonder that students from around the globe come here in search of a high-quality education. Many such students obtain an F visa to enter into the country.

Who are they for? 

F visas are for full-time students with non-immigrant intent. The F-1 visa holder is the student. F-2 visas are given to the dependents of F-1 visa holders. F-2 visa holders are not allowed to work for compensation while living in the United States, but they may be enrolled in public school if they are minors. 

There are also F-3 visas, which are for students who live in Mexico or Canada but commute across the border to attend schools in the United States. F-3 visas are rare, as this is a rare circumstance. For example, in 2015 only 63 F-3 visas were issued.

Who is eligible?

There are several requirements for obtaining an F-1 visa. You must:

  • Be accepted to study at a Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) certified institution.
  • Prove strong ties to your home country, such as family, bank accounts, assets, and/or a job offer letter for a job you will have upon completion of your studies. 
  • Prove your proficiency in the English language.
  • Provide evidence that you are financially able to afford your course of study and your living expenses for the duration of the program. 

After arriving in the United States, F visa holders must maintain valid student status. This means they must take a full course load, which equates to at least 12 credit hours for credit-bearing schools or at least 18 contact hours for language programs. 

F-1 visa holders are allowed to work for compensation, but only in on-campus positions. 

What do they provide?

The F visa allows you to stay in the United States for the duration of your academic program. After the program has ended, you may stay in the United States for up to 60 more days before you must return to your home country

If you are considering studying in the United States, you must first be accepted into a college, university, or other academic program or language training program. Then you should apply at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country of permanent residence. It is possible, albeit more difficult, to apply at a U.S. consular office outside of your home country.

If you are already in the United States with an F visa, but have questions about your situation, or have decided you want to relocate permanently after your studies have concluded, contact Sanchez-Roig Law, P.A. today!