Stop the Abuse: How the T-Visa Can Help Victims of Human Trafficking

According to the US Department of State, an estimated 14,500 to 17,500 people are trafficked into the United States every year. Almost all victims of trafficking in the US are immigrants, and most of those are immigrant women. Traffickers may use deception and force to exploit people who are poor, unemployed, unable to speak English, or unfamiliar with the country and its employment laws, and those who lack access to Read More

The H-3 Visa: How to Train International Employees in the US

Have you considered inviting an employee to participate in a United States training program? Your potential trainees may be able to obtain a visa for temporary nonimmigrant status, either as international trainees or as part of an exchange program. The H-3 Nonimmigrant Trainee or Special Education Exchange Visitor classification can provide that status. The H-3 visa can be granted to foreign trainees and special Read More

Immigration for Religious Workers: The R-1 Visa

Foreign nationals looking for temporary work in the United States have many visa options available to them, but what about religious workers? If you're a member of a religious denomination and are looking for an occupation in the US, then the R-1 visa may be right for you. Make sure you understand the definition of an R-1, the eligibility requirements, and the application process before you start filing your Read More

Nonimmigrant Work Visas: An Overview of the E-2 Treaty Investor Visa

Are you making an investment in a United States business? If you're a national of a treaty country, or a country that maintains a treaty of commerce and navigation with the US, then you may be eligible for the E-2 Treaty Investor visa. This nonimmigrant visa allows treaty investors to enter the country for the purpose of managing an investment they made in a US business. Get to know some of the general facts, Read More

Nonimmigrant Work Visas: An Introduction to the E-1 Treaty Trader Visa

If you or your company have plans to trade in the United States, you might consider applying for the E-1 Treaty Trader visa. Anyone dealing in international goods, services, insurance, and other items of trade have this option available to them. Before you get started with your application, you should get to know the basics about the E-1 visa, its qualifications, and its terms. What is it for? An E-1 visa Read More

A Brief Guide to I-9 Compliance

If you're an employer in the United States or an individual who has worked at a job in this country, then you might have some knowledge of the I-9 form. The I-9, or the Employment Eligibility Verification Form, is needed to verify the identity of an employee and to ascertain that a worker is legally eligible to accept employment in the US. United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides this form Read More

A Brief Q&A on Prosecutorial Discretion

Prosecutorial discretion can be a great benefit to law enforcement agencies, allowing them to manage their own resources in more efficient ways. It can help criminal law enforcement to save on the space and money they allocate to prisons, for instance, and encourage police officers to prioritize their actions in different cases of unlawful activity. While it works to the advantage of law enforcement, prosecutorial Read More

Nonimmigrant Visas: A Brief Introduction to the O-Visa for Extraordinary Abilities

When it comes to temporary work in the United States, certain advantages are afforded to outstanding individuals. US law gives priority to celebrated athletes, distinguished scientists, award-winning novelists, among other people with remarkable achievements. The O-Visa is a relatively fast way for nonimmigrants to enter the country for short term employment with an O-Visa sponsor. How do you ensure that you have Read More

Deportation Relief: Understanding Motions to Suppress

Law enforcement misconduct is a serious issue facing non-citizens of the United States. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers can sometimes violate your rights under the assumption that you don't know the law. This could have to do with anything from personal bias, or discrimination, to a simple misunderstanding. When a federal immigration officer places you under arrest, you may have to face a formal Read More

The K-1 Fiancé(e) Visa

If you are an American citizen engaged to someone from another country and you want them to travel to the United States to marry and reside with you, the first step is to file a Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) in the United States. Once United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), approves it, the petition is processed and sent to the consulate or embassy where your fiancé(e) will apply for a Read More