What’s the Deal with DACA? Understanding the Recent Policy Changes

On September 5, 2017, the Trump administration announced that it will phase out and end a policy called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). The DACA program was designed to protect people who immigrated to the United States in their youth, giving them another option for relief against deportation. When the program was introduced by President Obama in 2012, almost 800,000 people came out to register for Read More

A Brief Guide to the Immigration Appeals Process

Are you unhappy with the verdict on your recent immigration case? Maybe your visa application was denied, for example, or you were given an order of removal or deportation. In some situations, you may be able to appeal an unwanted decision and possibly receive a different outcome. Here's an overview of the immigration appeals process and how it works. Overview of Appeals When you make an appeal, you are asking Read More

A Short Q&A on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA)

If you're concerned about your immigration status in the United States, or if you've been notified of deportation actions against you, you may be able to explore some options for relief. One such option is called Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA). As long as you arrived in the US before your 16th birthday, DACA can help you in several possible ways. What is DACA? Deferred Action for Childhood Read More

Employer Accountability: The Basics of I-9 Compliance

The process of hiring a new employee always comes with its fair share of work—or paperwork, to be more specific. Among the documents you'll need to keep for every new hire, Form I-9 is one of the most important. Employers who fail to comply with I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification may be given civil fines or even criminal penalties. With that in mind, make sure you understand the basics of I-9 compliance going Read More

Lazy Days of Summer Interactive CLE Series

Sanchez-Roig Law, PA is proud to be a part of the Catholic Legal Services interactive CLE Series: "Lazy Days of Summer" happening August 25th. Attorney Rebeca Sanchez-Roig will be moderating a panel discussing advanced U Visa Issues. Click here to see the full list of the conference's topics and how to register. Read More

5 Benefits of Becoming a Naturalized US Citizen

Are you ready to pledge your allegiance to the United States? The process of becoming a full-fledged U.S. citizen is called “naturalization,” and it comes with a host of new rights, benefits, and responsibilities. What exactly can naturalization do for your family, your career, and your life in general? Let's look at some of the main benefits. 1) Citizenship runs in the family. U.S. citizenship makes it easier Read More

What Exactly is Post-Conviction Relief?

You may have heard that a criminal case ends after the appeal stage, but there is one more potential step in the process. Even if you have been convicted of a crime in Florida and you have passed the appeal stage, you may be able to file for post-conviction relief in order to raise new issues in your case. In many ways, a post-conviction relief motion may be able to influence a more positive resolution to your Read More

What Nonimmigrant Visa Holders Need to Know About Change of Status

When you gain entry to the United States as a visa holder, you're authorized to stay for a specific purpose. Your visa type defines the exact reasons you're allowed to be in the US as a nonimmigrant. For that reason, you may be barred from certain activities during your stay. For example, if you've entered the country on a student visa, your purpose is to study—not to gain employment, which is why your student visa Read More

Deportation Defense: Understanding Your Options for Relief

Deportation is a serious matter with a complicated process behind it. Even so, if you've been ordered to appear in immigration court, don't lose hope. You'll have the opportunity to defend yourself in front of an immigration judge. Here's an overview of the options available to you: Fighting the Allegations A deportation case typically begins when the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) issues a Notice to Read More

Family-Based Permanent Residence: Who is Eligible?

Looking to join your family as a United States permanent resident? It can be overwhelming to learn about the process of obtaining a green card, so it's important to know exactly where you should start. In order to get a green card through family, you will generally apply within one of four possible categories. Take a look at these options to see which one most resembles your situation. You're the Immediate Read More